The Hyderabadi shikampuri kebab is a great dish. It can be served as an appetizer. A delicious shikampuri kebab made with a hung yogurt filling and spiced mutton paste. A very royal and tasty kebab.
Have a look on the exotic kebabs from the Royal Kitchens of Hyderabad graciously stuffed with hung yogurt.
For the Hung Curd
2 cups homemade fresh yogurt or thick yogurt.
For the Kebab
500 gm small cubes of boneless mutton, 1/2 cup chana dal soaked for 30 minutes, 2 green cardamoms, 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 tsp red chili powder, Salt to taste, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp chopped ginger, 2 tbsp chopped garlic, 1 egg, oil.
For the Filling
2 finely chopped onion, 5 finely chopped green chilies, 3 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves, hung curd.
Making the Hung Curd
- Wrap the yogurt in a cloth bag, and place it in a strainer. Keep the strainer on a plate.
- Place it for 4 to 6 hours /overnight in the refrigerator.
Making the Kebab
- Take a pan, add the mutton, chana dal, cardamom, cinnamon sticks, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, ginger, garlic, and add the 2 cups of water.
- Cook till the mutton is done and the dal is soft.
- Allow to cool and grind it to make a fine paste.
- Add egg and mix properly. Set aside.
For the Filling
Mix the hung curd with finely chopped onion, salt, green chili and coriander powder.
Making the Shikampuri Kebab
- Take some proportion of the kebab paste. Flatten it and place a small filling of the hung curd.
- Take the edges of the kebab and cover it.
- Fry in oil till golden brown.
- Serve the shikampuri kebab with chapati/ puffy poori.